This is my most favourite Christmas recipe EVER! I have been making this recipe for years and it’s the best shortbread I have ever tasted. It’s so buttery and creamy – a real melt-in-your-mouth treat! I found it in my Mum’s Sunbeam Mixmaster Cookbook from 1961! Vintage Gold!
7 oz/ 200g butter
2 1/4 cups or 300g plain flour
1/2 cup or 65g corn flour or rice flour or potato starch
1/2 cup or 65g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Beat butter and vanilla until soft on low speed.
2. Add icing sugar gradually on low speed.
3. Increase speed and beat until light and creamy.
4. Fold in sifted flours on low speed.
5. Turn onto lightly floured board and roll out to 5mm thick (1/4″)
6. Cut with cookie cutters or cut into strips
7. Place on greased tray
8. Bake in barely moderate oven for 15-20 mins or until very light golden.
9. Cool and decorate.
My favourite addition to these gorgeous Shortbreads is dark chocolate. I have made them with a heart shaped cookie cutter before and dipped one half of the heart in melted chocolate, let them set (if you are in summer like we are here in Australia, you might need to pop them into the fridge to set) and yum yum in my tum! Delicious, easy and great Christmas presents!