As I buy raw milk and it only comes in a 2L bottle, I always seem to have a lot of milk left at the end of the week, nearing the use by date. I really don’t like wasting things so… my solution is simple – Rice Pudding! Rice pudding is great warm or cold and lasts for several days in the fridge. You can have it for dessert, a snack or even breakfast!
1/2 cup short grain white rice
1/2 cup Rapadura sugar – This sugar will make the mixture look and taste a little caramel. If you like a traditional colour and flavour use white sugar or raw sugar.
1 dspn real vanilla essence (stronger than imitation and much yummier!) or 1 vanilla bean pod
1 x 8cm cinnamon stick
6 cardamom pods
1 tsp grated nutmeg
rind of 1/2 lemon
4 egg yolks
1. Place all ingredients except egg yolks in a heavy based saucepan and heat slowly until just boiling.
2. Turn off heat and allow to cool.
3. Remove vanilla pod (if you are using one), cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves and lemon rind.
4. Stir egg yolks until smooth and add to cooled rice mixture.
5. Bake in oven @ 160 deg C for approximately 1hr or until set