Every Summer we have an ant problem. Little black ants are busily building nests outside in our sandy soil. It’s inevitable that some of these cheeky little ants make their way to garbage bins and the inside of our house looking for food. I don’t like using chemical ant insecticide, so I’ve been researching some environmentally friendly options.
Here are a couple of environmentally friendly methods to deter them:
- Chalk – draw a line of chalk in the ants path and according to research, ants won’t cross it. If only the rest of life was that easy to sort out!
- Sprinkle Cayenne pepper in their path
- Sprinkle black pepper in their path – ant really don’t like pepper!
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon at the point you think they are entering the house.
- Sprinkle catnip in their path
- Make a simple ant deterrent spray…
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
2tbsp environmentally friendly dish-washing liquid
1. Combine water, vinegar and detergent and mix well.
2. Pour into spray bottle.
3. Spray where ants are travelling.